Sunday, January 16, 2011

Firelight by Sophie Jordan



I have recently (as in this morning) finished reading Firelight. I thought the book was well written but I don't want to give it a rating. The book I am reading at the time is always my favorite so my opinion is definitely biased. As usual though- Spoiler Alert!

The story is fast paced for the most part but it does have the usual slow moments that most books contain. The main character, Jacinda, lives in a pride of people who are the descendants of dragons. They can change into humans to keep their race secret and safe. They call themselves Draki. Jacinda is a fire breather-a rare talent among the Draki-so of course she is protected and her free will being is stripped from her. Although she is desperate to find a way to take back her free will, she knows she belongs with the pride. In order to save Jacinda, her mother forces Jacinda and her sister to leave the pride. However, Jacinda's mother believes that the only way for Jacinda to be safe is for her daughter to become fully human. Jacinda struggles desperately to keep her Draki alive in the mortal world. The only thing in this new world that helps keep her Draki alive is the elusive yet irresistible Will. He is the only thing that can help her, yet he is her enemy. His family hunts Draki. So she is faced with the choice of losing her Draki or risking the secrets of her people.

I really like how Sophie writes Jacinda's story. She spends a lot of time letting the reader see Jacinda struggle with both sides of every decision she makes. It helps the reader to empathize with her character. This also gives Jacinda depth.

However, there is a bit of a star-crossed-lovers theme. Will and Jacinda are inevitably drawn to each other when the readers know that it is almost impossible for their relationship to work out. It makes the story feel familiar like I read the book a long time ago yet I can't quite remember the particulars. So in that sense I am slightly disappointed with the book. However, it still pulls the readers in. The tragedy of their doomed love makes the story all the more interesting. It makes the readers hope that the characters can get past the divide between their people-against all the odds stacked against them.
All in all I think it was a good book, so I encourage you to read it and let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment